Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Here's the church, here's the steeple, Open the Doors to see All the People

My only other source of entertainment in the small village of Milo is attending church. I've been to church for three weeks in a row. That's more consecutive times in the past several weeks then in the past decade. It actually is fitting as my goal for 2009 is to explore my spirituality and faith more. I thought this would be a higher reaching self-improvement goal than the typical "go to the gym more" resolution. I think being on a mountain for six months has given me time to be self-reflective. I struggle with how to practice an earthly spirituality with my Catholic foundation. I reject most of the ideologies of the Catholic church but I have to acknowledge that my adult morals and values were largely shaped by attending church and youth group every week for my entire childhood. So I figure attending church would reconnect me with my roots then I will branch out into an exploritory practice. My commentary wouldn't be complete without reflecting on the priest who exhibits suspicious behavior during his sermons. First, he never looks directly into the eyes of the congregation. His eyes are either on the floor or upturned to the heavens. I can't trust a priest who can make eye contact with the crowd. His hands are either clasped piously in front his rounded chest or femininely bent at the elbows, hands pressed upwards as though he was raising his hands to the grace of God. Are you suspicious yet? He sits behind the alter with his eyes always closed with a constant, serene smirk on his face. Is he communing with the Lord Almighty or having unpure thoughts? I will continue to attend church during my time here in Milo as it provides amusement and helps me towards my New Year's resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment